[Tweeters] I love the migrants

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun Aug 7 14:16:20 PDT 2016

Getting the fountain in the back yard to flow profusely brought in hordes of birds, including the unbelievable numbers of both species of chickadees and young juncos, also House Finches, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Spotted Towhee, Black-headed Grosbeaks (4 in the yard this afternoon, have been here for a few days), a Golden-crowned Kinglet and a Yellow Warbler. The last three species are absent here as breeders, so all pretty early migrants.

Every year we get small numbers of immature Black-headed Grosbeaks at our feeders in August. They stay for days or even weeks, then are gone. They’re not the same birds, as they are young, so why such a mass. Do they migrate in groups? Any other people have the same phenomenon?

-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.
Seattle, WA 98115