[Tweeters] I love the migrants

mary hrudkaj mch1096 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 8 06:58:39 PDT 2016

Out here in the northeast Mason County area I have nesting Black-headed Grosbeaks. Usually there are 5-6 pairs that come in early May, nest, raise their whining youngsters and then leave around the last two weeks of July. This year all but one family left at the same time. That family left about a week after the others. Not having seen any Black-headed Grosbeaks for almost a week it was a nice surprise to see another family come to feed for a couple days. All I can figure is the most recent ones nested elsewhere and stopped here to rest the kids and fatten up for the next leg of their migration.

Having a young Sharp-shinned hawk practicing its hunting techniques in the yard now will probably help any other migrants along on their journey. The sharpie is keeping the young jays occupied though.

Mary Hrudkaj

Belfair/Tahuya