[Tweeters] Fall Migrants

David Hutchinson florafaunabooks at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 15:09:37 PDT 2016

Dennis asked a question that now makes sense of some recent data. August 1st, I carried out the monthly bird census at Capehart, Discovery Park. In a scrubby alder thicket in the NW corner of the site, there were a lot of nuthatch calls, not a resident species. On checking more closely, there was an active feeding flock containing:

2 Warbling Vireo; 5 Black backed Chickadee, 5 Red-breasted Nuthatch; 2 Orange-crowned Warbler; 2 Black-throated Gray Warbler; 1 White-crowned Sparrow & 3 Dark-eyed Junco. My impression was that almost all were juveniles. At the time I thought "wow Fall starts early here".

David Hutchinson

Flora & Fauna Books

3213 West Wheeler St # 6

Seattle, WA 98199