[Tweeters] cooperative Skagit mountain birds

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 19:23:12 PDT 2016

Dear Tweeters,
Today (9 August 2016) I figured I'd head to the eastern marches of Skagit County to try for some mountain birds. It worked out well.
Grey Jays could be heard in several places, although I saw only one, that being at Swamp Creek. There was also a creaky-sounding tree, swaying in the breeze at the Hardy Burn, that sounded remarkably like a Grey Jay.
I walked up into the rocky gully (partially man-made) at SR 20 milepost 155.5, and found a DUSKY FLYCATCHER. There was also a sapsucker calling there, but I never laid eyes on it. I believe this site has been dubbed "Porcupine Creek Slide" on eBird.
At the Rainy-Pass-to-Cutthroat-Pass trail, I took my time, stepping aside for a passel of backpackers and pass-runners. I made it only halfway to Cutthroat, but most of the mountain birds that I'd hoped to see were there, including an AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER, a PINE GROSBEAK, and a couple of MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES. The Three-toed was in the same snag as a Hairy Woodpecker. A family of Sharp-shinned Hawks was making a ruckus both times I passed by their area.
The Hardy Burn gravel area was deader than a wheelbarrow full of door-nails. In two visits, I managed to find one unidentified warbler and a flock of eight Pine Siskins. The presence of some campers made it difficult to bird the western end of the site, which usually has a few warblers and woodpeckers.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch