[Tweeters] RE: [ "Lake Ballard" shorebirds - Urban Shorebirding HOTSPOT!

Scuderi, Michael R NWS Michael.R.Scuderi at usace.army.mil
Wed Aug 10 14:50:37 PDT 2016

Went to Lake Ballard today at around 1130. There were 6 Western sandpipers, 1 least and 3 killdeer.

I find it amazing that our migrants find these little temporary patches of habitat. They are becoming so rare. As more mature habitats develop in our urban areas, these little pockets which formerly might have provided habitat for shorebirds disappear as the riparian fringe grows up and covers the mudflat area, leaving only open water and riparian edge. Or worse, development takes them.

Ed Swan, in the "Birds of Vashon" did an excellent job describing the shifting of bird populations as habitat matures . There are winners and losers, and in this case our shorebirds are the losers. If one looks at former shorebird habitat in the Kent Valley, it is almost all gone (who can remember the Tukwila Ponds, Kent Ponds, and Auburn Sewage Treatment Plant?),with only J Street by Emerald Downs remaining. The Montlake Fill is also a good example of transition away from shorebird habitat. I guess, if you are involved in any restoration projects, you should remember shorebird habitat. It goes against the trend recreating riparian forest but it does compensate for our loss of estuaries which a number of our shorebirds used to utilize in migration.

Mike Scuderi
Kent, WA
Cotinga777 at yahoo.com