[Tweeters] Skagit and Whidbey Trip Report

Jason Vassallo Jason.Vassallo at outlook.com
Wed Aug 10 18:40:27 PDT 2016

Hey tweeters,

I just got back from a fun trip mainly around Skagit and Island counties August 9th and 10th. I started in Snohomish county at Eide Rd., and then made my way north. I spent the night at Deception Pass and then birded Whidbey Island in the morning.

Highlights:

At Eide Rd. I did not see any Bairds Sandpipers, but had a Long-billed Curlew call and fly by. A nice surprise!

At Wylie Slough there were a lot of Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, as well as one Short-billed Dowitcher, but nothing too unusual there.

At Channel Drive there were 2 Bank Swallows mixed in with a large group of Swallows.

At Samish Island I had 6 Black Swifts, which I was hoping for at some point given the cloudy conditions.

At Rosario Beach/head there were at least 5, maybe 6, House Wrens

At Deception Pass there was nothing unusual for birds, but there was a cool sunset.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100720286@N08/28284814464/in/dateposted-public/

At Crockett Lake there were large numbers of peeps, although to my surprise I was unable to pick out anything but Westerns and Leasts. The solo American White Pelican continues there as well.

And finally at Deer Lagoon it was very birdy. The large group of American White Pelicans continues, and there were 2 pretty distant Wilson’s Phalaropes.

Overall an awesome trip with over 100 species.

Jason Vassallo
Jason.vassallo at outlook.com<mailto:Jason.vassallo at outlook.com>
Seattle