[Tweeters] RE: [ "Lake Ballard" shorebirds - Urban Shorebirding HOTSPOT!

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 13:02:29 PDT 2016

Hi, Mike.

Thanks for putting this in perspective so well. Those of us who fought so diligently to regain shorebird habitat at the Center for Urban Horticulture feel this especially, as I do personally as I have been lobbying to get the parks department to eliminate some of the woody vegetation that has grown all around the ponds at Magnuson Park. Riparian habitat seems to be desired above all else by all of our agencies and departments, I would guess in part or entirely stemming from the well-being of salmonids consistently placed above that of birds. Riparian habitat is of course a valuable habitat, but it doesn’t have to be everywhere. It is of value in providing shade for fish as well as habitat for birds along streams, but it actually decreases overall biodiversity as it grows up around ponds, which get a lot of their high productivity and wildlife value from glaring open sunlight and open shorelines where shorebirds can feed.

The only thing that will change this is a change in attitude, and we know how hard that is.

Dennis
-----
Dennis Paulson
1724 NE 98 St.