[Tweeters] Re: Scissor-tailed Flycatcher follow-up on official county line

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 10:32:16 PDT 2016

Hi all -
The point is mostly moot by now, since the Scissor-tailed has since been seen flying well north and well south of SR 24, thus safely within both Adams and Franklin Counties.
But I wanted to pass along official word from Franklin County - I emailed them to ask for definitive word about where exactly the county border runs in that stretch of SR 24. They replied promptly that it is just south of SR 24, So basically, if you see the bird above the road or anywhere north of there: Adams. Just south of the road and into the sage: Franklin

Here’s the official response:

The boundary between Franklin and Adams Counties is defined by the state as the north township line of Township 14. We have this surveyed at the southern edge of the SR 24 right-of-way, so SR 24 is fully contained within Adams County, as are the power lines to the north. There is a section of SR 24 between Sunrise Drive and Radar Hill Road, centered just before and after Mile 74, where the county boundary gets into the centerline of the highway.

Most importantly, glad the bird is cooperating for so many consecutive days!

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA