[Tweeters] Surprise today at Green Mountain lookout, white tailed ptarmigans

Maxine Reid baconmf at mail.com
Mon Aug 15 17:41:31 PDT 2016

Hi tweets
We just returned from a hike up green mountain . The lookout is in Snohomish
County. It's 71/2 miles north from Darringon on the 530 hwy to the Sauk river bridge and then 25miles
On the Suiattle river road ,.The hike is about 81/2 miles round trip and 3300 feet elevation gain.

I heard a soft clucking noise from beside the lookout and there were 4
WT Ptarmigans. 1 mom and 3 chicks . They were about 3 feet from me.
The chicks could fly short distances only.
Of course I hadn't taken my camera.
These are code 4 for Snohomish county. (Last year I found a family of WTPtarmigans
In Gothic basin on the mountain loop highway.)
We also saw 6 black swifts flying around above Green mountain lookout
Other birds includes 2 golden eagles soaring in the distance ,many juncoes,robins,
A few BC chickadees,1 sooty grouse on the road.
The wild flowers are plenty and diverse.

Cheers and good birding,
Maxine Reid.

Sent from my iPad