[Tweeters] Othello area today - Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and shorebirds

Randy Hill re_hill at q.com
Tue Aug 16 21:43:44 PDT 2016

Bob Flores and I headed east to Othello this morning to see if the
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was still hanging around after the weekend. It
was. We watched for 30+ minutes around 11 am while 4 other vehicles also
found it, and another 15+ minutes closer to 3:30 pm about a mile west of the
Wahluke Branch Canal crossing of SR24, typically 2-2 ½ poles west of a
westbound pullout. During that time it barely crossed the centerline of the
highway once while foraging, so all Adams County. Between visits we checked
the Para Ponds, including restricted access areas of the old potato waste
ponds south of McManamon Road, where we found 12 shorebird species. My
count:

American Avocet 6

Killdeer 10

Spotted Sandpiper 2 (potato ponds only)