[Tweeters] more on reported possible Broad-billed Hummer in Tacoma

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 20 12:24:43 PDT 2016

Hi all -
Last night on eBird a report of a possible Broad-billed Hummingbird came across the transom - I reached out to the person reporting it, with hopes of finding out about access and the like. At this point, access isn’t available to where he saw the bird yesterday - if it returns, he’s going to see about clearing access, but for now it won’t be possible to get into the yard where seen. It might be possible to find it somewhere public nearby, but for now at least you can’t get to the specific yard.

One other caveat - a couple of us aren’t entirely sure on the id — I admit to not being an expert in Broad-billed hummingbirds, but though the bill is nice for a Broad-billed, the lack of an eye-line extending back from the eye on the photographed bird seems inconsistent to me — perhaps it is fine in some plumages, but maybe this is another hybrid of some sort?

Anyway, I’ll pass on more if I hear of any access - hopefully this will give some interim answers.

Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) (1)
- Reported Aug 19, 2016 16:45
- Home, Pierce, Washington
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=47.235932,-122.533232&ll=47.235932,-122.533232 <http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=47.235932,-122.533232&ll=47.235932,-122.533232>
- Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31158425 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31158425>