[Tweeters] Is the Broad-billed really a Broad-billed?

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 22:17:29 PDT 2016

When I saw the ebird report of a Broad-billed Hummingbird right here in
Pierce County, of course I got excited. But looking at the photos, I'm
actually thinking that the bird in question is an Anna's Hummingbird with
an odd bill, perhaps even a hybrid. The shape of the tail is short and
doesn't appear lobed as one would expect in a Broad-billed, and I don't see
pronounced white stripe above the eye. Of course, I don't have much
experience with hummers except for out local species but to me it just
immediately stuck out as an Anna's with an odd bill. I asked a couple other
birders and they concur, but if any with experience with the two species
has any input it would be nice to hear what they think.

Christopher Clark
Sumner, WA