[Tweeters] Larch Mountain, Clark County migration birding

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 12:22:14 PDT 2016

Hi Tweeters,

I spent Thursday morning (with Randy Hill) and Saturday morning and this
morning up at what I've called "Migration Corner" on Larch Mountain, Clark
County. GPS coordinates are: 45.693696, -122.273583. This is at the
L-1520 Gate which probably won't mean much except to Clark County locals.

This area can be quite entertaining on a good migration day.
Unfortunately, I'm still learning what the most favorable weather
conditions are for good migration at this location. It appears that days
with an east wind are best which coincides with hot days in Clark County.
However, on Thursday (a hot day with east wind) we didn't see very much.
Saturday morning was the third day of the heat wave and there was a 10-15
mile sustained east wind and the birds were flying! One flock had 108
migrants and took about 12 minutes to pass through (and the flock was
moving fairly quickly).

The following are the results of the three visits. The number in parens
after the Saturday total is the number in the big flock described above.
Highlights were the single Hermit Warblers on both Saturday and Sunday
(different individuals), 2 Western Bluebirds this morning and Thursday's
single Townsend's Solitaire.

Thursday-Saturday (flock #)-Sunday

Sharp-shinned Hawk 0-1-0
Cooper's Hawk 0-2-1