[Tweeters] othello Scissor-tailed Fly NO

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 19:21:54 PDT 2016

At least 8 people stood vigil at various vantage points along SR24 all morning and into the afternoon with both kingbirds but no STFL. I took several loops along nearby side streets as well, turning up only one Western Kingbird as flycatchers go. most interesting sighting was a scrub-jay, which I've never seen in the area. It was on Rangeview Road, accessed from Mound Road on the south side of SR24, then heading east at the T towards Sagehill Rd. Bird was on power pole right where the pavement starts up, but flew into adjacent apple orchard before I could confirm it to be/not be the more expected California Scrub-jay. Would have been almost as good as a scissor-tail...
Para Ponds had low numbers of shorebirds, but good diversity with 3 each avocets and Red-necked Phalaropes, 5 Baird's, 3 Western, 20 Least and 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers, a pair of Gr Yellowlegs and, of course, several Killdeer. Couldn't scare up a Tricolored Blackbird, but the other three species are still there. County Line Ponds added only a Long-billed Dowitcher to that species count.

Jeff Bryant

Seattle

jbryant_68 AT yahoo