[Tweeters] Discovery Park yesterday (King Co.; 8/22/2016)

Evan Houston evanghouston at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 20:35:22 PDT 2016

Hi Tweeters,

I got a sunrise start at Discovery Park yesterday morning, spending most of
my time down at the beach. It was fun to observe that fall migration has
begun in earnest, as there were lots of birds around that don't breed at
the park.

Here were my highlights, with birds in CAPS being species new for my park
list:

- Dabbling ducks were moving south in small flocks over the sound - these
were mostly pure groups of Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, and
American Wigeon, but one teal flock caught my eye with one bird that was a
little larger - it turned out to be a CINNAMON TEAL.

- At the North Beach Pond, I did a double-take when I saw a GREEN HERON
fishing from an islet - this is likely the bird found 2 days previously by
Matt Dufort, and also continuing today. Video: http://tinyurl.com/zorhdhn

- Shorebirds included Sanderling and Western Sandpiper close to shore. Out
over the sound, one Red-necked Phalarope was flying south and then landed
on the water (there were also some unidentified flocks).

- A couple of Common Terns were well offshore.

- A family group of Western Wood-pewees included a loudly begging juvenile.

- Utah Wetlands had some harder-to-find warblers at the park - a
MacGillivray's Warbler and a Common Yellowthroat.

With fall migration heating up, who knows what will turn up next . By my
estimation, the Northern Waterthrush found today by Alan Grenon and Spencer
Hildie was a new species, bringing the cumulative park total to 281 species.

I wish I could enjoy more of fall migration at the park, but I am writing
this message from the east coast, as I am moving to Danville,
Pennsylvania. I have enjoyed being part of Tweeters, and I will continue
to enjoy keeping track from afar.

Good birding,
Evan Houston