[Tweeters] No Scissor-tailed Flycatcher on 8/23 or 8/24.

plkoyama at comcast.net plkoyama at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 20:22:11 PDT 2016

Tweets,
If it’s still there, we missed it. We arrived Tuesday p.m. (after an I-90 delay due to a truck accident) at about 2 and looked around Hwy 24 south of Othello for about a little over an hour, checking the wires from Hendricks to well past MP 67, and walking down the track from the highway near MP 67. We were back again this a.m. around 7:30 a.m. for the same routine, including driving east on Hendricks, checking wires just for the heck of it. On neither occasion was there a flycatcher of any kind to be seen, except for a lone Western on Hendricks near the irrigation canal a few miles east. Tues. aft we heard a raven, and this a.m. we heard a meadowlark. No sage birds responded to playback on either day.

We poked around the Col. Wildlife Refuge and Potholes for the rest of today. Near Othello, there was a small, but excellent, flock of shorebirds in the shrinking Para Ponds on the potato side of the road--Western, Least, and Semi-palm Sandpipers, one or two each, and a couple of Bairds, along with LB Dowitcher, Gr Yellowlegs and Am Avocet on the larger pond. Potholes SP turned up one BB Plover, 2 Sanderlings, 2 Bairds and several Killdeer, along with Wilson’s Warbler and a Hairy Woodpecker, both in the camping area on the way down to the boat launch. Just before dinner last night, the Hatton Rest Stop on Hwy 26 was as dead as we’ve ever seen it, with only Killdeer, one Gr Yellowlegs, and a Baird’s SP there, accompanied by the usual Rock Pigeons and House Sparrows! Meanwhile, Matt Bartels is killing at the Colville Sewage Plant!!!
Penny Koyama, Bothell
plkoyama at comcast dot net