[Tweeters] Ocean Shores 8/23-8/24 - Sabine's Gull, Stilt Sandpiper

Sam G Terry sgt3 at uw.edu
Wed Aug 24 22:34:48 PDT 2016

Hi tweeters,

I spent yesterday evening (8/23) and this morning birding Ocean Shores. The
best birding was on yesterday's evening high tide at the game range. There
were thousands of Sooty Shearwaters flying into the bay with lots of other
birds on the move as well. Scoping south from the game range I saw an adult
Black-legged Kittiwake, 12 Common Terns, and a juvenile SABINE'S GULL which
I watched for a good 10 minutes as it worked the channel.

The game range itself had some good shorebirds. Most were on the west side
accessed from STP as the Tonquin side is very dry.

Stilt Sandpiper - 1 juv
Pectoral Sandpiper - 3
800 or so peeps - mostly Western on the west side with Leasts scattered
throughout - even on the dry side. Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Short-billed Dowitcher - 1 juv
Dunlin - 1
Sanderling - 3
Black-bellied Plover - 1
Semipalmated Plover -21
Greater Yellowlegs - 2

Earlier in the afternoon I had good numbers of peeps at Hoqium STP
including 2 Semi Sands.

This morning (8/24) at the Point Brown Jetty I had two Wandering
Tattlers and a group of 15 or so Red-necked Phalaropes.

I walked all of Damon Point this morning and flushed what might have been a
group of four Buff-breasted Sandpipers but I couldn't get good enough looks
to be sure. Also on the bay side I had one Ruddy Turnstone and 16 Baird's
Sandpipers in a few small groups.

I checked the game range at low tide on the way out and the Stilt Sand and
Pecs were still there and had been joined by 7 Baird's.

Good birding,

Sam Terry
Seattle