[Tweeters] Larch Mountain, Clark County birding

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:15:12 PDT 2016

Tweeters,

I headed up to migration corner on Larch Mountain again (the L1520 gate in
eastern Clark County) this morning in hopes of seeing a few migrant raptors
(see Randy Hill's post yesterday). No raptors but had a few surprises:

Turkey Vulture: 6
Red-tailed Hawk: 1
Cooper's Hawk: 3*
Sharp-shinned Hawk: 2*
Band-tailed Pigeon: 20
Anna's Hummingbird: 3
Rufous Hummingbird: 1
Vaux's Swift: 118
BLACK SWIFT: 2 seen well for three minutes. Neither birds flapped once
during the three minutes I watched them. Black plumage and big compared to
the numerous Vaux's Swifts in the area. Very long tapered wings made them
look like small dark falcons! The last time I saw Black Swift in Clark
County was June 5, 2012.
LEWIS'S WOODPECKER: viewed for about ten minutes flycatching from snags.
Awful photos obtained. Code 3 in Clark County
Hairy Woodpecker: 1
Northern (Red-shafted) Flicker: 3
Violet-Green Swallow: 35
Barn Swallow: not very common up on Larch Mountain
Western Wood-Pewee: 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher: 1 (first for the county this year for me - they've
been very scarce this year where I usually expect to find them)
Common Raven: 1
American Pipit: 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch: 5
Steller's Jay: 8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2 (first of the Fall season)
Golden-crowned Kinglet: 8
Swainson's Thrush: 20 (including some night flight)
American Robin: 6
House Wren: 3
Pacific Wren: 1
Cedar Waxwing: 120
Yellow Warbler: 2
Wilson's Warbler: 8
Yellow-rumped Warbler: 14
Orange-crowned Warbler: 16
MacGillivray's Warbler: 7
Black-throated Gray Warbler: 4
Townsend's Warbler: 8
Black-headed Grosbeak: 1
Western Tanager: 45
Spotted Towhee: 2
Dark-eyed Junco: 15
White-cronwed Sparrow: 6
Pine Siskin: 40
Evening Grosbeak: 15
Purple Finch: 2

* - Pika assisted. Every time an accipiter flew over, the Pika that was in
the rocks behind me would vocalize. Sort of Pavlovian - hear Pika, look up.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward and listen to pikas.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker
Battle Ground, WA