[Tweeters] Haste Makes Waste - Red Knot at Tulalip Spit - NOT Stilt Sandpiper

B B birder4184 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 25 18:07:23 PDT 2016

Made this correction on Ebird but should do so here as well.  When Jon Houghton and I were at Tulalip Spit earlier we debated whether the bird we saw was a Stilt Sandpiper or a Red Knot.  There seemed to be issues for both - seemingly too small for Red Knot but posture and bill length not great for Stilt.  We went with Stilt because of the apparent size compared to Plovers (Knot is not much smaller).  Looking at photos and with some good input from Ryan Merrill re: size (go with mass not length), it is pretty clearly a Red Knot - so look for Knot not Stilt.