[Tweeters] Barred Owl/Squirrel + West Seattle migrants

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Sat Aug 27 15:35:37 PDT 2016

Hi Tweets,

Well, it seems that between Ed's message below and Joan Miller's report from yesterday afternoon, I'm the only West Seattle Tweeter whose yard the Black-throated Gray Warblers are passing up at the moment. I'll have to spend more time out there.

But still it's offered some interesting sightings. Last night Rob and I were settling out on the deck for some reading around dusk, and I saw a large brown bird fly from a tall Doug Fir at the edge of our yard. That was the beginning (at least, the part we saw) of a 15-minute-long episode involving a Barred Owl and an Eastern Gray Squirrel chasing and attacking each other. There is an active squirrel nest on that Doug Fir, and I believe the two squirrels involved may have been either the parents or a parent and a youngster. One squirrel gave a continuously repeated alarm call from a thicket of branches as the other engaged the owl.

At first I assumed only that the owl was after the squirrel - but then several times Rob and I witnessed the owl attack the squirrel, which then circled back around the tree trunk and leaped at the owl, or rushed along a branch to the owl. I had the sense that the squirrel was defending its nest by drawing the owl away from it. I'd never seen this behavior and found it fascinating.

The owl seemed to be carrying its right wing unusually low, and several times landed awkwardly among the branches, and we wondered whether the wing had been injured by the squirrel or something else.

By the end of the 15 minutes, it was too dark for us to see anything, and the owl seemed to give up and fly off. (Sure would've loved there to be enough light for good photos, but that's always the inherent problem with owl photography.)

You never know when you're going to get an education just by sitting on your deck or hanging out in the yard...

Good birding,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
Pelly Valley, West Seattle
Natural history website: Naturalpresencearts.com<Naturalpresence.wordpress.com>
Photography: Flickr.com/photos/trileigh