[Tweeters] Bat close encounter, RFI

Scott scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:21:47 PDT 2016

Tweeters:

Although we're a bird site, I've noticed in the past that a few rare "forays nearby" are allowed. I've had BIG BROWN BATS for years flying at dusk over the open area around our house at dusk. So I guess I should not have been surprised (but was) when one spooked me yesterday. There I was, painting a ventilation siding up at the top of the ladder, about 15' off the ground, when one took off from under the lattice I was painting! I almost flew off the ladder myself, it flew so close...

But it reminded me that perhaps someone out in Tweeterland (Kelly McAllister?) could point a person in the direction of a good key to identification of our local species. The only other bat I've been sure of encountering is the HOARY BAT a few times on the Ol. Peninsula, but the Mammals guide indicates we have 11 species on our side of the Cascades. Friday night, I counted about 25 bats low over Highway 9 in a 8-mile stretch, thinking there must be other species than BIG BROWN around.

Anyone out there in Tweeterland have a good sense of bat i.d.s in w WA?

Scott Atkinson

Lake Stevens

mail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com