[Tweeters] Re: Bat close encounter, RFI

Sammy Catiis Hikersammy at msn.com
Sun Aug 28 20:52:35 PDT 2016

Scott,

Hopefully this link will help you ID and answer any questions you might have about bats in the NW. I used to belong to a bat conservation org years ago.. learned tons..

One thing I will say however, 2 years ago my Son found a bat that seemed friendly and possibly sick.. and SHOULD have known better.. after all, this is MY kid.. but know, him and his friend put it in a box.. it later died.. did not tell me but contacted WDFW who sent them directly to the people who test.. which is DID have rabies.. and yes.. they handled it. Rabies is in the Saliva so handling it can spread it.. if digested etc. .. anyway.. 4000 dollars later and 8 shots.. lessoned learned. This was at Oso fyi.

PLEASE if you touch a bat, wash up immediately.. so you are safe. If bitten or course.. Hospital ER and start the shots. Don't ever purposely handle bats. ugh. OK, the links are below:

There are about fifteen species of bats found in Washington. These are the: Big Brown Bat, Western Pipistrelle, Silver-haired Bat, Spotted Bat, Townsend's Big-eared Bat, Pallid Bat, Hoary Bat, and seven Myotis or mouse-eared bats including the Little Brown Myotis, Yuma Myotis, California Myotis, Keen's Myotis, Long-eared Myotis, Long-legged Myotis, Fringed Myotis and Small-footed Myotis. The Western Red Bat is sometimes included on species lists but has not been confirmed for Washington. The Brazilian Free-tailed Bat is extending its range north and is now found in southern Oregon.

http://www.batsnorthwest.org/meet_our_bats.html

<http://www.batsnorthwest.org/meet_our_bats.html>

Bats Northwest<http://www.batsnorthwest.org/meet_our_bats.html>
www.batsnorthwest.org
Meet Our Bats Articles about Bats | Bat Watching 101 | BatCam | Pacific Northwest Bat Gallery. Each page has the common name, scientific name, a ...

Bats Northwest<http://www.batsnorthwest.org/meet_our_bats.html>
www.batsnorthwest.org
Meet Our Bats Articles about Bats | Bat Watching 101 | BatCam | Pacific Northwest Bat Gallery. Each page has the common name, scientific name, a ...

Sammy

Arlington