[Tweeters] Sooty Shearwater, Baird's Sandpiper and Sanderlings

Bruce blabar at harbornet.com
Mon Aug 29 11:13:23 PDT 2016

While observing 9 Sanderlings and 2 Baird's Sandpipers, I started to scan the sound. A Sooty Shearwater came into view which surprised the hell out of me! It skimmed the water and landed several times. A all dark sooty colored shearwater with very white underwings. I was able to get Chris Renick and Irene Bruce to observe it when it was on the water. This is my first sighting in Pierce county!!!! This was from the Chambers Bay golf course beach that I described in yesterday's post.