[Tweeters] coastal birding

Marv Breece marvbreece at q.com
Mon Aug 29 17:38:43 PDT 2016

Yesterday and today I birded at the coast in Grays Harbor county, mostly looking for shorebirds. Some highlights:

8.28.16 Sunday

Hoquiam Sewer Treatment Ponds
Pectoral Sandpiper - 5
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Least Sandpiper - a few
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Merlin - 1
Bank Swallow - 3
Bonaparte's Gull - a very fresh juv

Ocean Shores Game Range (Oyhut)
Peregrine Falcon
Red-throated Loon - several very close to shore
Least Sandpiper
Western Sandpiper
Semipalmated Plover
Baird's Sandpiper - 2
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
American Golden-Plover - 1 juv
Black-bellied Plover - 1
Sanderling - 2

Bottle Beach about 3 hrs before evening high tide
Black-bellied Plover - many
Western Sandpiper - many
Short-billed Dowitcher
Red Knot - 1 (thanks to George Gertz for a fine spot of this bird)

8.29.16 Monday

Westport Marina this morning
Marbled Godwits - many
Bar-tailed Godwit - 1 adult
Elegant Tern - 1

Westport Tower this morning
Wandering Tattler - 1 on rocks below
Sooty Shearwater - I urge anyone who can to witness the thousands of sootys in Grays Harbor from
this vantage point in order to fully appreciate the numbers of these birds; it's quite a spectacle

Bottle Beach near high tide today
a Peregrine Falcon and a few peeps and Dunlin

Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA
marvbreece at q.com