[Tweeters] Off-topic: Panama trip report (Harpy Eagle)

Stefan Schlick greenfant at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 4 13:19:15 PST 2016

Over a year ago I tried putting together a Harpy Eagle trip and posted for that purpose on both OBOL and Tweeters. There were lots of comments and interest, but nothing ever came out of it and I ended up going to Belize.

In the meantime, a Harpy Eagle nest was recently found in the Darien, the eastern most province of Panama. There are now several tour companies taking customers there (including all big ones). I went with the Canopy Family and stayed 6 nights at Canopy Camp (this is likely the or one of most inexpensive ways to see a Harpy Eagle). The nest should be "good" for another almost year, as the young (and one was seen recently, but not by us) stay around the nest for a long time. The nest is about as accessible as it gets: It took a 1.5hr drive, 3 hr boat ride and 45min hike to get there one-way. So it was a manageable, but long day trip from Canopy Camp. So, to sum it up, if you want to see a Harpy Eagle, now is a really good time.

Some pix and a brief trip report are here:

https://birdmeister.wordpress.com/2016/12/04/a-harpy-eagle-trip-to-panama-1120-11272016/

Stefan Schlick

Hillsboro, OR