[Tweeters] Drones and Birds?

Dan Reiff, PhD notcalm at comcast.net
Mon Dec 5 00:23:11 PST 2016

Hello Tweets,
I was at Marymoor park Sunday afternoon. A person arrived at the model airplane field and launched a drone about 3:45PM. It traveled at least as far the Pea Patch before I lost track of it.
Based on time of return, I believe it traveled above much of the park area.
It made at least three routes around the park including after dark-easy to see then because it had lights- and far beyond the designated area for model airplanes.
So, I am curious- are there any studies on bird behavior and drone activity?
I would like to understand if drone activity has any material effect on bird behavior. I do not know, but they are becoming common and I have even seen them being flown in Wilderness areas.
I have noted that there is now a metal sign at the Snoqualmie Falls overlook that states that drones are not allowed in the area because it is a Peregrine falcon nesting site.
This not intended to be a negative comment, just a request for information.
Thanks,
Dan Reiff

Sent from my iPhone