[Tweeters] Birding in Iceland ??

Wally Davis wallydavis3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:52:05 PST 2016

Can't comment about late May, but I was there last year in mid-August and
had a marvelous time.

Let me recommend that you get a copy of "Fuglakort Birdwatcher's Map" ISBN
978-9979-3-3042-4. It was invaluable.

My favorite birdwatching places were:

. Vic where there is a large colony of puffins on the steep hillside
overlooking the black sand beach

. Many seashore spots around Helinar where there are large numbers of
seabirds including many breeding kittiwakes and arctic terns. We also came
across breeding whooper swans

. Rif where there is an enormous tern colony - nests all over the
place almost up to the road

. The lighthouse and vicinity at Akranes. Many species of birds
including eiders, terns, several species of gulls and others.

. Reykjanesviti (near the steam fields of Gunnuhver which you should
put high on your list of places to visit) where there is a monument and
discussion of the last great auks.

There's an awful lot to see there which isn't birdwatching !!! My wife and I
really want to go back.

Good birding,

Wally Davis

Snohomish