Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Dec 8 14:26:04 PST 2016

Tweets – Cold settles down into the valleys on nights like last night. So dawn was COLD at Marymoor. The air was so dry that there were just a few little rosettes of frost on the windows of my car. Frost was heavy on the grasses of the meadows. The air was clear and frigid. The stars were bright. Temps dropped down to at most 20 degrees at sunrise. My hands still ache with cold, though the rest of me did pretty well. Birding was slow despite the almost-sunny morning, though it did pick up a bit at the end when it got up to 34 degrees.

Highlights:

Gr. Wh.-fronted Goose At least 4-5 with Cacklers
Cackling Goose Est. 1300 on grass fields
- ducks - Seven species
Sharp-shinned Hawk One near Dog Area portapotties
Cooper’s Hawk 1-2 birds
Killdeer One near park entrance – first in 7 weeks
N. Saw-whet Owl 1-2 heard by early birders
Red-breasted Sapsucker Rowing Club – first in 6 weeks
Northern Shrike Adult in East Meadow
Common Raven Two flew across slough – 2nd week in a row
Varied Thrush 1 at Rowing Club – First of Fall
OR.-CROWNED WARBLER 1 at East Kiosk – only 4th ever in December
Western Meadowlark 3+, model airplane field, Compost Piles
coyotes At least 2 pre-dawn

And we were able to sample the fresh-made mini donuts at Bear Creek Coffee in Lot D for the first (and definitely not the last) time.

For the day, 57 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com