[Tweeters] Snohomish Valley Sandhill Cranes + Yard Birding

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 18:05:58 PST 2016

Hello Tweets,
This evening I was birding from my back deck, hoping the snow would
result in some interesting birds. Around sunset I heard several
Sandhill Cranes calling from north of me. I looked around frantically,
but couldn't locate them visually. The calls continued for about five
minutes from the same area allowing me to pull out my phone and
compare with some recordings just to confirm my memory of a bird I
don't get to hear too frequently. The direction would put them in the
agricultural fields south of the city of Snohomish, likely between
Springhetti Rd. and the Snohomish River. If anyone sees any cranes in
the area, I'd love to hear details if anyone refinds them. I could
tell there were multiple birds, but I'm not sure how many.

My species count was a little on the light side today, but bird
quality was high. This morning there were 52 Killdeer on the bank of
the river, enjoying one of the only snow-free ground around. Later in
the day they were joined by 3 Wilson's Snipe, the first time I've seen
this species on the ground here. All five expect Woodpecker species
made appearances.

Earlier this week a Short-Eared Owl hung out on s post across the
river for an hour before sunset.

Sandhill Crane is the 118th yard species since we moved here in June.
Amazingly enough, we still haven't had House, White-Crowned, or
Golden-Crowned Sparrow, although we did have a White-Throated Sparrow
for a morning in late October.

Josh Adams
Cathcart, WA