[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 12/14/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 09:58:40 PST 2016

Tweets,

Yesterday 20 if us braved the cold and chill breeze to walk Nisqually.
Several of us didn't make it past the twin barns as the raw breeze was more
than we could handle. Still it was a pretty birdy day. We had a 6.8 low
tide at 11:44 so lots of mud in the reclamation area.

Best sightings were a WILSON'S SNIPE and a female ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD.

The SNIPE was off to the right of the observation deck at the visitor
center and was actively preening and moving around. It had moved by the
time I returned to the visitor center at noon. It was the first SNIPE we
have seen in quite a while.

The orchard was pretty active with RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS, SPARROWS and
KINGLETS but the best bird was the female ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD feeding on
half an apple. She sat there for several minutes poking her bill into the
fleshy part of the apple. Good looks were had by all.

Later in the walk we came across a SONG SPARROW convention. There were
over a dozen SONG SPARROWS working the ground under the alders just past
the freshwater marsh overlook. We also had a nice mixed flock in that area
that included both KINGLETS, BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, BROWN CREEPER, BEWICK'S
WREN, PACIFIC WREN, DOWNY WOODPECKER, and FLICKER.

There was a lone GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE in with the CACKLING GEESE
along the maintenance road near the visitor center.

The usual collection of waterfowl were seen and the folks who braved the
estuary boardwalk saw some nice open water birds that we missed.

We did see a couple of small flocks of GOLDFINCH and a large migratory
flock of RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS.

For the day I had 42 species and still have 145 for the year.

The only mammal I saw was a MUSKRAT .

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com