[Tweeters] Walla Walla county birds

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Thu Dec 15 10:08:10 PST 2016

Hello all,

Before the snowstorm yesterday we headed out west to see how the birds
were surviving in the cold and snow. Along Byrnes road were many HORNED
LARKS and White-crowned Sparrows.

At the blood pond (where the warm blood and water are dumped from the
slaughterhouse - so it doesn't freeze over) on Dodd road were over 50
AMERICAN PIPITS, WILSON'S SNIPE, DUNLIN, MEADOWLARKS. Along the road
were many more MEADOWLARKS, SAVANNAH SPARROWS, WCROWNS and many
blackbirds. The "poop piles" (just south of the slaughterhouse where
they dump the stomach contents of the cattle) were full of gulls and
ravens - we couldn't spot anything different.

At Ice Harbor Dam were 12 GREAT EGRETS - these birds were flying and
hovering over the water trying to fish, some actually landing in the
water and floating while putting their long necks and heads completely
underwater. All their marshes at McNary are already frozen - these birds
may not survive the coming cold. There are many Common Mergansers and
Goldeneye below the dam, many Western Grebes above the dam.

The island below the dam host a wintering population of AMERICAN WHITE
PELICANS - 126 there yesterday. Many DC Cormorants there as well.

AT 2Rivers HMU where the water is half frozen were 19 BALD EAGLES out on
the ice with their kills.

Our yard is full of birds - I just sweep and shovel the snow off the
garden and alley and put out corn and millet - 72 Mourning Doves have
appeared and way outnumbered the collared doves! The Wcrowns were
singing at 6:30 am - fun to hear on a dark snowy morning.

Several folks in the valley are still hosting Anna's Hummingbirds - with
heated feeders or heat lamps - and Christmas lights (that put off heat)
in the trees to warm perching spots. Hopefully one will still be around
for the Walla Walla Christmas Bird Count on Saturday.

Good winter birding, MerryLynn

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley