[Tweeters] 80+ VARIED THRUSH, Cougar-Squak Corridor, Margaret's Way Trail, Issaquah

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 16 20:49:38 PST 2016

Stan and I hiked Margaret's Way Trail today in King County's Cougar-Squak Corridor, a trail connecting Cougar Mountain to Squak Mountain (2 of the "Issaquah Alps") just off hwy 900 (the old Renton to Issaquah Road). We expected we'd see Varied Thrush, but NOT in the amazing abundance that we did! About every 1/4 to 1/2 mile, we'd watch 8-40 Varied Thrushes flush up in front of us from the forest floor and angle up into the trees, in all directions, filling the open spaces, especially when there were 30-40+ birds. Birds flying every which way, chupping, perching briefly, then flying a bit further before perching again. This phenomenon went on for 3 miles, to our turn around at Debbie's View. And, the same happened on our return. Incredible.

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard
Bellevue WA
scormieraa001 at hotmail.com