[Tweeters] Walla Walla CBC results

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Mon Dec 19 06:04:44 PST 2016

Hello all,

Our 43rd CBC on the 17th started at 5 degrees but calm and clear with
over a foot of beautiful snow. 24 hardy souls spent the day driving,
snowshoeing, skiing and walking the 12 sections of our count circle. 6
feeder watchers also contributed to the count. 77 species were found on
count day and 4 count week birds were found yesterday - SAY'S PHOEBE (at
Shoemakes hummer feeder!), RUFFED GROUSE, WESTERN BLUEBIRD, PINE
SISKIN!. All up Mill Creed - where were they on count day?

HIGHLIGHTS: WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER - 2nd record ANNA'S
HUMMINGBIRD - 3 BIRDS! 4TH record for the count. Northern Pintail (11th
record) Killdeer and
Wilson's Snipe (despite the cold and snow!)

Tree, Fox and Golden-crowned Sparrows

WORST MISSES: RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH! A first in 43 years! Pacific Wren -
only the 6th time to miss this one. Brown Creeper, Spotted Towhee -

Thank you especially to Chris and Linda who went above and beyond to
cover Bennington Lake - since the road was closed they had to ski and
snowshoe in from Rook's Park!

Looking forward to our JANUARY 1 WALLA WALLA COUNTY BIG DAY! Hoping to
break our record of 116 found on Jan 1 of this year - all are welcome to
help us out -

Merry Christmas, M&ML

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley