[Tweeters] Cle Elum CBC summary

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Wed Dec 21 13:10:14 PST 2016

We held the 12th Cle Elum CBC on Monday, December 19th. As always, weather made things interesting – it’s always part of the story for our count, as late December weather in Cle Elum can best be described as wide-ranging and changeable.

After a gorgeous day Sunday, snow started falling hard around 3:30 a.m., about when I was arising to do the owling. Between then and around 10 a.m., it snowed on and off (mostly on), and fairly hard. We got somewhere between 5-7 inches of snow count morning. Not only did this directly effect travel, but it meant dealing with snow plowing. My car got stuck behind a wall of snow left by a plow, but the guys plowing helped us out minutes later. Other than the snow, though, the day turned out to be very nice. Temperatures ranged from the low teens to possibly a few minutes near the freezing point. We even had some sun.

Bird highlights:

Gr. White-fronted Goose 1 bird, South Cle Elum sector, 2nd time for count
SWAINSON’S HAWK ??? Iron Horse Trail crew had a hawk with pale coverts, dark primaries and secondaries
Red-tailed Hawk Second-lowest count ever, with just 16
Rough-legged Hawk Tied for lowest count ever, with 2
KILLDEER Single birds seen on 2 sectors – New for the count
Eurasian Collared-Dove High Count of 164
Mourning Dove High Count of 74
Northern Pygmy-Owl Two found – High Count
ANNA’S HUMMINGBIRD Rec’d photo taken 12/19 in S. Cle Elum at feeder. 2nd time for count
LEWIS’S WOODPECKER Seen on private land off SR-10 – New for the count. Photos.
R.-BREASTED SAPSUCKER Single birds seen on 2 sectors – New for the count
Hermit Thrush Six on Iron Horse, 1 near Liberty. 2nd time for count, High Count
European Starling High Count of 514

For the day, 75 species (plus SWHA???), with two more Count Week species; both totals are 2nd best. Total birds, at 3661, was just a hair over average. But that’s pretty good, considering the extensive snow cover, the mostly frozen water, and the very quiet start to the morning.

My very great thanks to the 25 birders who participated!

= Michael Hobbs
= Cle Elum CBC Compiler
= BirdMarymoor at gmail.com
= http://www.marymoor.org/CECBC/CleElumCBCCircle.htm