[Tweeters] 10 Bohemian Waxwings, Bainbridge Island and more!

Chazz Hesselein chazz at hesselein.com
Thu Dec 29 17:18:32 PST 2016

It took me two trips but, I was able to find the previously reported
Bohemian Waxwings in the neighborhood to the east of Ft. Ward on
Bainbridge Island. My first trip was Wednesday afternoon; I probably
arrived too late. This morning I spent about an hour on NE Kitsap St.,
where almost all of the previous sightings have been reported. I didn't
find any waxwings of either species there. Wednesday afternoon I noticed
considerable American Robin activity at the corner of Soundview and
Belfair directly across from an entrance to Ft Ward so I decided to give
that spot a try before heading back home. Within 5 minutes of arriving
at this spot, I noticed a flock of European Starlings fly into the top
of a nearby tree and among the perched birds were six Bohemian
Waxwings. I eventually found a flock of ten Bohemian Waxwings and
another flock of six Cedar Waxwings. The waxwings flew into the swampy
area to the east of Soundview; I never saw any of the waxwings fly into
the yard with the large holly trees.

As an added bonus, I decided to stop by the Bainbridge Aquatic Center
for a swim. To my surprise and delight, I made it in time for one of
their master swimming workouts and I was welcomed to join the group.
Its been over five years since I've been in an organized swimming
workout. I also learned that the Bainbridge Master's team is the
largest in the area with over 170 swimmers and has four workouts a day.
Who knew!?! I may be going to Bainbridge Island more often!

Tuckered out more from swimming than birding.

Chazz Hesselein
Port Orchard, WA