[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 2/3/16

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:56:10 PST 2016

Tweets,

The weatherman was right yesterday. It was nice a the 8:00 but started to
rain about 10:15 and continued to rain the rest of the day. 22 of us
enjoyed a productive, if wet walk. We had a 12.4 high tide at 12:42 so the
tide was in along the estuary boardwalk.

Highlights included the lingering RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, a fly over of 3
TRUMPETER SWANS, a couple of EURASIAN WIGEON and a NORTHERN SHRIKE.

The RED-SHOULDERED HAWK continues along the central dike behind the pond
south of the twin barns usually in a low bush. The TRUMPETER SWANS fly off
the refuge as we scanned the pond across from the orchard.

One of the EURASIAN WIGEON was seen next to the road to the twin barns not
far from the old McAllister Creek trail. And the NORTHERN SHRIKE was
perched out behind the twin barns.

Lots of singing going on as things prepare for Spring. Waterfowl are
pairing up and passerines are getting territorial.

The GREAT HORNED OWL continues on the nest with no evidence of owlets yet.
Should be soon if all is well.

Out on Nisqually Reach we had a flock of about 30 BLACK BRANT and all three
MERGANSERS were on McAllister Creek.

There was a WILSON'S SNIPE at the visitor center pond and GREATER YELLOWLEGS
and LEAST SANDPIPERS along the estuary boardwalk.

For the day I had 53 species and now have 73 species for the year.

There was a RIVER OTTER preening on a tuft of grass near the start of the
interior boardwalk and we also saw 4 BLACK-TAILED DEER and HARBOR SEALS out
on the Reach.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com