[Tweeters] Black-headed Gull this morning - YES (Also, Lost Keys)

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 16:54:27 PST 2016

Hello Tweets,

This morning, I saw (one of) the Black-headed Gull(s) for about 15 minutes at 11:15 AM! The bird was directly in front of us, feeding out in the open on the grass with a few Mews about 500 feet away. The field it was in was adjacent to and directly south of the pullout a bit east of the south parking lot, at the entrance to a farm access road. The gull we saw was the one with the "dot", as opposed to the one with the "crescent" (apparently seen together with the "dot" gull at the nearby prison ponds earlier this morning). The bird flew further east, allowing a good view through my binoculars of the interesting wing pattern briefly landed further east, and then the flock rose. I briefly saw it once more beside two white poles, far to the southeast, then lost it. Amazing and awesome lifer! :)

On another note, we found two keys on the ground at the same pullout. The first key had a dark gray handle, on a keychain along with a large circular leather pendant. The second was a car key, but missing the metal part. The keys were hung on the fence below the sign labeled "No Trespassing" (although in its current state it reads "NO SPAS") beside a puddle at the entrance to the access pond.

A great day to be birding in Washington State!

Good birding, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh(dot)n(dot)glant(at)gmail(dot)com