[Tweeters] Ne'er-do-wells in Crescent Lake area and BHGU(s)

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 19:51:45 PST 2016

Hi Tweeters,

My wife and I stopped by Crescent Lake this afternoon to try to find the
Black-headed Gull. My wife is not a birder and stayed in the car.

I parked first at a small pull-out just east of the south parking lot.
While I was scanning gulls with my scope, a pickup went by, the driver
roared the engine and the passenger yelled profanities out the window
(words that we birders, people of class and distinction, aren't used to
hearing in public).

I moved the car to the main parking lot and was again scanning gulls when a
large SUV went by with the passenger mooning us! My wife was humorously
shocked. I can't remember ever being mooned.

My wife, who doesn't accompany often, wondered if these were regular events
when I was out birding. She also wondered if the riff-raff from Malheur has
moved up to Monroe.

I did see the Black-headed Gull on 190th St. As I was driving west on
190th, a car was leaving. The driver waved to me to stop and told me the
BHGU had been there but had just flown away with other gulls, headed north.

As I was approaching the parking area at the end of the road (30 seconds
later), several people were running from their cars toward a small group of
birders. They had found the (or a) BHGU. It is possible the original BHGU
had just returned but probably more likely that there are, indeed, two in
the area.

I also saw Michael Woodruff, who I first met on a pelagic trip when he was
about 16 and had a cast on one arm. He said he is in medical school in
California. He introduced me to his wife and her parents. Michael said he
saw a Kelp Gull in Los Angeles yesterday (I think). Traveling definately
adds to your bird list.

Denny Granstrand

Denny Granstrand
Yakima, WA