Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Feb 18 14:11:16 PST 2016

Tweets – we had a very nice morning today, with virtually no precipitation, and even with some hints at sunshine. Temps were in the 40’s-low 50’s. Birds were singing all over.

Highlights:

Green Heron Juvenile on beaver lodge across from Dog Central
SEVEN SPECIES OF GULL on grass fields including:
Western Gull At least 1
California Gull Two – first since Week 1
Herring Gull One
THAYER’S GULL One
W. SCREECH-OWL Matt heard one in the “Mysterious Thicket”
N. Saw-whet Owl Matt heard one near east footbridge
Pileated Woodpecker One on far side of slough
Western Meadowlark THIRTEEN north of Fields 7-8-9

I was ecstatic to see the GREEN HERON, for with this sighting for Week 7, we’ve now seen Green Heron at least once during each week of the year. 45 other species have been seen in all weeks.

The GREAT BLUE HERONS are being very confusing. There was only one heron on the old heronry. There were over 30 herons in three trees about 100 yards north of the heronry. They have started about a dozen nests at the new site, all but one in a single tree. It’s unclear if this is an expansion or a relocation of the heronry. If it’s a relocation, I’m baffled as to why.

As I mentioned, there was a lot of singing today. Some of the birds noted singing included AMERICAN ROBIN doing full, insistent songs, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, SPOTTED TOWHEE, DARK-EYED JUNCO doing variations on trill songs, HOUSE FINCH, and (quietly) WESTERN MEADOWLARK.

Today’s animal list included AMERICAN BEAVER (Matt saw/heard one early), and our First of the Year MUSKRAT. The Bullfrog tadpole mentioned two weeks ago turned out to be a NORTHWESTERN SALAMANDER when I examined Ollie’s photos. We had not previously documented that species at the park. It was being eaten by the juvenile Green Heron.

Tuesday, I had HUTTON’S VIREO and VARIED THRUSH at the Rowing Club, both new for the year.

For today, 57 species. For the year, adding WESTERN SCREECH-OWL, HUTTON’S VIREO, and VARIED THRUSH, I believe we’re at 76 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com