[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 2-18-2016

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Thu Feb 18 19:22:31 PST 2016

Tweeters,

The six of us were expecting rain, at least from yesterday's forecast, but
only got sprinkled on once; partly sunny most of the time and quite
pleasant, especially in the forested areas. Because we might have had an owl
at one point early in the walk (not to be), we decided to walk the route in
reverse. The highlights: A new species for the walk -- COMMON GOLDENEYE
(female) at Hodge Lake. In addition, we had 14 RING-NECKED DUCKS (and one
BUFFLEHEAD) at the maintenance offices pond; a pair of HOODED MERGANSERS at
the flooded marsh area near Hodge Lake; and lots of singing PACIFIC WRENS
all along the route. We had 24 species, one taxa (American/Northwestern
Crow) and a "gull sp" that although was close by, was totally backlit so we
couldn't ID it. Decided "misses" today were geese of any species, Downy
Woodpecker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Golden-crowned Sparrow, and any other
finch besides House Finch.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at
8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf
Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the
following:

. March 17

. April 21

. May 19