[Tweeters] RE: Incredibly loud varied thrush

Michelle Maani lamoustique at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 14:49:01 PST 2016

I recall reading that birds will sing much more loudly when they are in a noisy environment. I think that they have to in order to increase the chances of being heard by others of their kind. So human-created noisy environments have created louder birds.  I hope their hearing hasn't been affected by it too, as human hearing has. I suspect all creatures in a super-noisy environment have a degree of hearing loss...and it wouldn't surprise me if the bird sings more loudly to hear itself!!!

Michelle MaaniVancouver, WA
From: Edswan2 AT comcast.net Sort of amazed this morning, the Varied Thrush in the Fairmont greenbelt is

so loud that I can hear it on the other side of the house, our house with

thick brick walls, over the noise of the rain, planes coming in, the port

and the traffic heading over the West Seattle bridge. - See more at: http://birding.aba.org/message.php?mesid=1072441&MLID=WA&MLNM=Washington%20Tweeters#sthash.W6c9rQbV.dpufFrom: Edswan2 AT comcast.net Sort of amazed this morning, the Varied Thrush in the Fairmont greenbelt is