[Tweeters] Spring in Kent, WA

Izzy Wong gobirder at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 16:48:50 PST 2016

Hi Tweeters,

Yesterday, the sounds and sights at the Kent and Boeing ponds were truly reminiscent of Spring.

Many of the fields in Kent were flooded. In one area below St. Patrick’s Cemetery, various ducks were seen swimming in these fields. We even saw a lovely female Common Goldeneye swimming and diving in one a flooded ditch.

The song of the Red-winged Blackbird was obvious nearly everywhere. These birds were fully dressed for breeding, with their bright red and yellow shoulder patches showing quite prominently.
We also noted the rattling of Marsh Wrens in the cattails.

The resident pair of Western Scrub-Jays were found at the Kent Ponds. They seemed to be enjoying the day flying from spot to spot and calling.

We also saw a Ruby-crowned Kinglet showing off its brilliant crown.

The Green Heron that is often located at the Boeing ponds was nicely visible via scope.

Various water fowl included, Bufflehead, Mallard, Gadwall, N. Pintail, Am. Wigeon, N. Shoveler, Pied-billed Grebe, and Ruddy Duck.

We saw a few swallows that we think were Violet-green, but didn’t get sufficient views for positive id.

Many birds were singing and calling (Bewick’s Wrens, House Finches, Am. Robins, Dark-eyed Juncos, Spotted Towhees, for example), and along with the birds we saw and the nice weather, it really felt like a new season had arrived.

isadora wong
seattle, wa
gobirder at gmail.com