[Tweeters] Re: Bald eagle incubation dates

Michelle Maani lamoustique at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 09:19:32 PST 2016

It is not at all early for bald eagles to begin incubation.  In fact I believe this is completely within normal parameters.
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/eagle/pdf/nest-seasons.pdf

Michelle MaaniVancouver, WA
 Subject: Request for information on local WA Bald Eagle incubation dates
Date: Sun Feb 28 2016 7:45 am
From: falconresearch AT gmail.com Last Friday, 26 February, we found an adult Bald Eagle already incubating

in a nest near Everett.

This seems quite early to me and I was wondering if anyone else out there

is seeing this behavior right now in your local nest(s).

If you live from Seattle north and know of any currently active eagle

nests, I would be grateful to learn what you are seeing.

Although I am told by Martin Muller that Bald Eagles can engage in false

incubation for several days prior to egg- laying, I am defining incubation

for this survey as being an adult lying down horizontally in the nest for

an extended time period, let's say 15 minutes or more.

We know that climate change is advancing breeding activity dates in many

species of birds.

I am curious if this might include Bald Eagles in our area too.

Perhaps someone is already looking at this?

In the meantime, I will start checking more nests and also look at the

literature for egg dates.

Bud