[Tweeters] "dumb as a dodo"?

Devorah the Ornithologist birdologist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 12:11:40 PST 2016

hello everyone,

people have often referred to the dodo as "too stupid to live". a rather
cold assessment, if you ask me, especially considering that dodos have been
around longer than has human civilisation. which makes one wonder; how
stupid were dodos?

a new study reveals that dodos had a brain volume that was in line with
that for all their close cousins -- the pigeons. so they were probably just
as intelligent as pigeons (and pigeons are quite intelligent, even though
most people are ignorant of this fact.)

this study, from my postdoctoral alma mater, the american museum of natural
history in new york city, provides more detail:

Dodos: smarter than most people think
http://onforb.es/1Tfjxuc

incidentally, this piece will be mirrored on my Medium site in one week's
time.

cheers,

--
GrrlScientist | @GrrlScientist <https://twitter.com/GrrlScientist>
Devorah Bennu, PhD
birdologist at gmail.com
Blogs: Forbes <http://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/> | Evolution
Institute <https://evolution-institute.org/profile/grrlscientist/?source=> |
Medium <https://medium.com/@GrrlScientist>
Keep up with my writing: TinyLetter <https://tinyletter.com/grrlscientist>
Tiny bio: about.me <https://about.me/grrlscientist>
sunt lacrimae rerum et mentem mortalia tangunt. [Virgil, Aeneid]