[Tweeters] interesting gull Skagit

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 28 19:39:41 PST 2016

Dear Tweeters,
Today, 28 February 2016, there was an interesting pink-legged gull at Cockreham Island (Skagit County). A big flock of swans, geese, ducks, and gulls has been foraging in the last remaining hayfield that hasn't been converted to bird-desert (AKA berry fields). This is near the northeast corner of the island, due north of the sole remaining dairy on the island.
I had no camera with me when I saw the gull, having stopped by on the way home from doing local errands.
I think it might have been a third-winter Glaucous Gull, but gusty gales and spatters of rain made it hard to get a good look. The bird had a pale "glaucous" mantle, but nearly white primaries and secondaries. The bill was heavy, not at delicate as one would expect in, say, a Thayer's Gull or Iceland Gull. There was a dark area near the tip of the bill, but I could not tell if it was at the tip, or in from the tip. The size was about that of a Glaucous-winged Gull. This bird might have been a leucistic Glaucous-winged Gull, or maybe a hybrid, if it wasn't a Glaucous Gull.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch