[Tweeters] Anna's & FOY

mary hrudkaj mch1096 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 1 13:52:46 PST 2016

My first bird of the year was a male Anna's who scolded me when I brought in the feeder just before sunrise. He always says thanks when I bring it back out after thawing it.

I have two male Anna's and a female. The males are at each other all the time, fair weather or foul (fowl). But I haven't had the knock-down, drag-out fight since breeding season. The males will spend lots of time chasing each other around the yard as usual but the ones here save the more violent stuff until Spring and Summer.

A pair of mountain quail have visited today as has about every other kind of ground feeder in the area. We still have a good 1.5 to 2 inches of snow here in the Tahuya area (thank you Hood Canal snow zone). A varied thrush came in to feed as hve all the towhees, what with the ground being frozen and all their crawly food sources in stasis right now.

Mary Hrudkaj

Belfair/Tahuya