[Tweeters] My New Year's Day

heapbigdoc at netscape.net heapbigdoc at netscape.net
Fri Jan 1 20:36:07 PST 2016

I'll see all those juncos as the first bird of the year and raise you my first three birds of 2016:

1. European Starling
2. House Sparrow
3. California Quail

That's two noxious weeds and a (cute) introduced species to start the year. #3 probably should have been Eurasian Collared Dove, but I didn't get a good enough look at the flyover.

Things did get better. We drove down from Electric City to Kennewick and ended up with 46 species.

Highlights were Chukar and Ring-necked Pheasant in the road on highway 17 across from Sun Lakes, a pair of Rock Wrens at Wanapum Dam, Tundra Swans at the mouth of Crab Creek, and Marsh Wrens and at least three porcupines at Priest Rapids Dam. No spectacular rarities, but a fun day.

-Roy Myers, Electric City, WA