[Tweeters] Birding JBLM 2016

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Sat Jan 2 19:09:31 PST 2016

Tweeters,

Weighing in here after Tom’s note: I think Nathanael has done a fine job on getting info re: JBLM via his website. This, coupled with the WA ABA guide, should give almost everyone an intermediate guide to finding birds on JBLM.

Just a few notes:

* Nathanael’s detailed instructions on how to get an Area Access card are spot-on.

* Area access cards are NOT vehicle passes, so if you want to get onto the base via the main gate (I-5 exit 120) or the Dupont gate ((I-5 exit 119), you must have get a vehicle pass. (You don’t need a vehicle pass just to access the training areas if you have your access card.) Your best bet to get to the training areas once you have your access card is via SR 507, as noted in the ABA guide.

* Because of budget cuts, you can’t get an Area Access card (which, like Nathanael states is good for 2 years) on the weekend. You need to get it sometime Mon-Fri.

* Currently, access isn’t legal on the training areas on Sunday or most (all?) holidays. Again, budget cuts are the primary problem.

* Definitely check on the website to see what’s open before you go, and call in to let Range Control know where and about what time you’ll be at a site.

* TA 15, on the east side of 8th Ave S, is OK to go to when open. (This site was closed due to endangered species management when the ABA guide was revised.) In the Spring, this area along Muck Creek could be where you might find orioles or even Yellow-breasted Chats – the habitat is likely for those, but I’ve not found them there as yet.

Once you have your area access card, and if you need further guidance or want company, drop me a note. If I’m available, I’ll let you know: I’m in Roy most of the week.

May all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis

Roy, WA

avnacrs4birds at outlook dot com