[Tweeters] Edmonds Surfbirds & (Eurasian) Green-winged Teal Today

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 12:40:46 PST 2016

Two Surfbirds flew to the north breakwater this morning, just before 8:30, where they could be seen well from the public pier. There was also on Black Turnstone nearby and two continuing Sanderlings on the south breakwater. Despite the presence of a Bald Eagle, a Red-tailed Hawk, and the Cooper’s Hawk, the Green-winged Teal were present in the marsh along with the Green-winged Teal (Eurasian subspecies). It had its white lateral strip fluffed out so that it was well seen along with the yellowish-white trim lines on its head.

So back to the Surfbirds, there was sufficient exposed food for their foraging fairly early this morning. It is a 10.3 high tide at 12:42, dropping to 0.8 at 8:04 pm, so prospects are good that they will be back foraging probably by 3 pm. I haven’t been back since my earlier morning visit. They may even be continuing now.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds