[Tweeters] RE: Starling mimicry

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 14:26:45 PST 2016

The other day in our back yard I heard a starling doing a good imitation of
a Varied Thrush. It seemed to get better with each try. I looked with my
binoculars and saw the real thing -- a Varied Thrush amid the starlings. A
couple of years ago as I walked at Snow Mountain Ranch, one time after
another, probably dozens of times, I'd look high in cottonwoods to find
various birdsongs each time being starlings. I kept looking, and laughing
at myself for getting tricked. Then one song came from its original
composer -- a trio of Pine Grosbeaks. I like how starlings can test us.
They keep me looking.
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA